New from The Library of America
Free Teacher’s Guide to American Earth
The new Common Core English Language Arts and Literacy standards emphasize reading and analysis of literary nonfiction. Now you can address these standards in the classroom using the greatest environmental writing of the last two centuries—exceptional nonfiction writing specially selected from the acclaimed American Earth collection that has shaped our understanding of our world and our place in it.
The Guide is not for English teachers only. Each historic document from American Earth is aligned to Next Generation Science as well as English Language Arts and Literacy Standards. Teachers of history, social studies, science and environmental studies will find a wealth of activities that:
- are based on texts of varying complexity that include a substantial range of literary non-fiction: essays, letters, speeches, poems, songs, journalism and more.
- encourage close reading and provide rigorous text-dependent questions that motivate students to analyze information, meaning, and argument.
- provide text-based opportunities for small-group and whole-group discussions and research projects.
- provide students with extensive opportunities to write source-based arguments and informational reports.
The Teacher’s Guide to American Earth also includes Common Core performance tasks for every document, as well as assessment questions that test comprehension and retention of information. Whether you are looking for opportunities to supplement your existing curriculum or teach an entire semester of environmental writing, the Teacher’s Guide to American Earth will support your goals.
The Teacher’s Guide to American Earth includes free resources for teaching five substantive units: Download the Teacher’s Guide (PDF, 2.6 MB)
You can also download individual sections of the guide:
Introduction (PDF, 400 KB)
- Unit 1: Visionaries of the American Environmental Movement, including student reproducibles (PDF, 460 KB)
- Unit 2: Interconnected Earth, including student reproducibles (PDF, 440 KB)
- Unit 3: Wild America: From City to Country, including student reproducibles (PDF, 350 KB)
- Unit 4: Human Impact, including student reproducibles (PDF, 600 KB)
- Unit 5: Environmental Justice and Personal Responsibility, including student reproducibles (PDF, 500 KB)
- Key Common Core State Standards and Performance Tasks (PDF, 160 KB)
- Correlation Chart (PDF, 170 KB)
- Student Reproducibles: Comprehension and Assessment Questions for Units 1–5 (PDF, 320 KB)